hit tracker
Home / News / Ford Now Says Re-Opening Ontario By May 24 Is ‘Absolutely Not Going To Happen’

Ford Now Says Re-Opening Ontario By May 24 Is ‘Absolutely Not Going To Happen’

Spread the love

Reopening will be conditional to how to next few weeks go.

Residents who were holding onto hope that the lockdown in Ontario may soon be ending are now being told otherwise. Ford recently revealed that the province could start re-opening by Victoria Day weekend. However, in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, the premier clarified that it is “absolutely not going to happen.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Doug Ford’s stance on easing Ontario’s lockdown by Victoria Day seemed hopeful, even telling Newstalk 580 that he expected the province to start re-opening the economy by the long weekend. 

However, the premier is now clarifying that it is “absolutely not going to happen”.

In the press conference, the premier stated that there is no given date for when the province will be completely re-opened, and they will be doing so gradually.

When asked by reporters about Ontario’s lockdown easing by the long weekend Doug Ford clarified, “I’m sorry, but no… everything is conditional on the health and well being of Ontario.””What I was saying, is can we start opening up a trickle of the economy? I have got to be very, very clear, there is never going to be one date that we just open up the economy.”

Loading...

“By no means are we going to have the May 24 weekend to open things up. That is absolutely not going to happen.”

While Ontario’s lockdown will be in place until at least mid-May, Ford does state that when they start to look into re-opening the province it will be gradually. 

In fact, when the process gets underway, Ford announced that schools would be one of the last places to finally open their doors. 
“I think it’ll probably be later on,” the premier stated. “Our biggest fear is this spreading within our schools. I know our kids are resilient but, still, our number one concern is protecting our kids out there.”

Mayor John Tory also announced earlier this month that Toronto was in the process of re-opening the city. 

However, like the premier, Tory also states that when this process gets underway, it could take several months to be completed. 

On Monday, it was announced that Ontario’s numbers were looking good and that the province was in a “best-case scenario” for the number of people that could potentially become sick.

However, Toronto Medical Officer of Health has warned that a second wave of the virus could hit again because we have not developed a herd immunity yet.

However, Toronto Medical Officer of Health has warned that a second wave of the virus could hit again because we have not developed a herd immunity yet.

Loading...

About admin

Check Also

The TTC has officially made face masks mandatory for Toronto riders

Spread the love The TTC is officially making masks mandatory for riders beginning next month. The TTC board met …